The Applied Computing Technology major is a program oriented towards the use of computing technology and software development in specific domains depending on the student’s concentration, rather than towards developing large-scale systems and enterprise-level computer software. Students will receive a strong background in computer programming and information technology aimed towards a specific application area. At this time there are three concentrations: human-centered computing, computing technology, and computing education.
Students completing this program will be able to:
- Write computer software.
- Develop computer applications to be used in a variety of areas.
- Develop websites, including web-based software and databases for use by experts in a broad range of fields.
- Grasp and demonstrate the subject matter of a specific field in which computers are to be used.
- Work effectively in groups to develop solutions to complex, field-specific problems.
- Communicate through writing about their technical activities.