To satisfy the requirements of category 1B of the All-University Core Curriculum (AUCC), students must earn three credits in mathematics. These credits may be earned by:

  1. Scoring well on the CSU Math Challenge Exam;
  2. Presenting AP calculus scores of 3, 4, or 5 on either Calculus AB or Calculus BC exam -or- IB mathematics scores of a 4 or higher on either the standard or higher level exam (see Registrar's Office for details on Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate equivalencies);
  3. Taking mathematics courses at CSU; or
  4. Presenting suitable transfer credits from another accredited institution.

MPE refers to either the unproctored Math Placement Exam or the proctored Math Challenge Exam. The MPE covers pre-college algebra and college algebra, logarithmic and exponential functions, and trigonometry. All entering freshmen are required to take the MPE, unless they can satisfy points 2 or 4 above. All other students must also take the MPE and obtain a satisfactory score before taking any mathematics course, unless they can satisfy either point 2 or 4 above.

A student who displays proficiency on the MPE may place out of one or more of the pre-calculus courses—MATH 117, MATH 118, MATH 124, MATH 125, and MATH 126 without earning credit. Placement out of a course on the MPE will satisfy prerequisites for other classes. A student who demonstrates a higher level of proficiency on the Math Challenge Exam may earn credit in one or more of those courses. Only earned credits count toward the three-credit University mathematics requirement, i.e. placement out of a course will not satisfy the CSU mathematics requirement.

A student (except a first semester transfer or a first semester readmitted student) who has earned 60 or more CSU and transfer credits and who has not completed the mathematics requirements of category 1B of the All-University Core Curriculum must enroll in a course that will fulfill this requirement in order to have a hold lifted from his or her registration. If a student drops or withdraws from the course or does not earn a passing grade, the grade of record will become an “F.” This grade of “F” will be included in the calculation of both the semester GPA and the cumulative GPA as a consequence for not completing the 60-credit completion requirement as defined by this policy. A transfer or readmitted student will be allowed the initial term of full-time enrollment before this restriction is imposed.

Appeals Process

Students wishing to appeal this registration restriction must write a detailed rationale as to why they were unable to complete the course within the first 60 credits. Students must also outline their plan for completion of the requirement. If registered for an equivalent course at another institution, students should include proof of registration. Appeals must be received by the student’s academic advisor and department head for their signatures and indication of support/lack of support of the appeal. The signed appeal must then be submitted through the Registrar's Office, First Floor, Centennial Hall, to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs who holds authority for final approval or disapproval.