About Credits 

Enrollment Status

Enrollment status (full-time, three-quarter time, half-time, less than half-time) is determined by the number of credits which the student has completed or is pursuing for the term in which the verification is requested. Courses from which the student has withdrawn or is auditing are not included. (The enrollment status schedule differs from the full-time/part-time schedule for tuition and fees.)

Credit Overload

Graduate students who wish to register for more than 15 credits per term must have an overload approved and submitted through ARIESweb by their advisor. Requests for graduate students to register for 19 or more credits requires approval from the Graduate School. 

Registration/Schedule Changes 

Class Schedule

Class schedule information is available online through RAMweb or online prior to the beginning of registration for a given term. The class schedule provides registration procedures and courses offered for that specific term.

Registration Process 

Students register for classes, including adding or dropping courses, online through RAMweb. The class schedule is available through RAMweb approximately one month prior to the start of registration, allowing students to plan their schedules (a wish list builder is available in RAMweb). The class schedule is available to the public under Resources via the CSU website, A to Z under Class Schedule. 

Before registering for classes, students must complete the Registration Ready portion of the process. In order to communicate quickly and effectively with students, CSU requires each enrolled student to provide an email address at Registration Ready. Students are also required to maintain a current mailing address. Once Registration Ready is complete, and the student’s Registration Access Date/Time has arrived (available in RAMweb), a student may register for classes.

Registration and payment deadlines must be met in order for registration to proceed. Students should respond to correspondence from CSU, including email correspondence, in a timely manner to avoid missing crucial deadlines.

Registration Waitlist

Registration Waitlists are available for students attempting to register for class sections that are already full. When a class has reached capacity and shows a waitlist is available, students may sign up on the waitlist. Students are e-mailed and texted (if they set their text messaging options to allow Academic and Financial Alerts via RAMweb) when a seat opens in the class. Students then have a 24-hour window to register for the class. If the student does not register, they are taken off the waitlist and a notification goes to the next student on the waitlist.

Please go to RAMweb or the Registrar’s webpage for frequently asked questions and answers about the Registration Waitlist.

Course Overrides

Even when a class has reached its published enrollment limit, the instructor may give special permission for a student to register in the course. Students should inquire about overrides with the instructor assigned to teach the class or the department offering the class. Overrides are processed electronically via ARIESweb by the instructor or department offering the course. Once granted an override, the student must still register for the course through RAMweb. To do so, the student will need to manually enter the CRN (course reference number) into the Add Classes Worksheet in RAMweb.

Late Registration

A Late Registration Charge of $50 (subject to change) is assessed for adding the first course on or after the first day of classes or for late adds after the registration period.

Graduate students who register for Continuous Registration or their first course for the term on or after the first day of the term will be charged a $50 Late Registration Charge.

Registration Cancellation (Prior to Start of Term)

Prior to the beginning of the semester, all courses can be canceled via the web registration system on RAMweb with no charge.

Assessment of Tuition and Fees Based on Registration Changes in Full-or-Part-Time Status

Tuition and fees will be adjusted for students that go above or below the nine-credit assessment cut-off during the add/drop period at the beginning of the semester. The specific dates are listed in the appropriate online class schedule. After this deadline, there is no adjustment in tuition and fees if students drop any portion of the courses for which they are registered.

Continuous Registration 

All students admitted to a graduate degree program are required to be continuously enrolled in their degree programs in the fall and spring semesters. This policy applies from the time of first enrollment through the graduation term. Students should contact their advisor if they do not plan to register for at least one credit of course work or research. Students graduating in summer term are required to be registered for at least one credit or Continuous Registration (CR). Students registering for CR will be assessed a fee for each semester of CR registration. If Continuous Registration is added on or after the first day of the term, a $50 late registration charge will be applied. See Special Fees.

Students enrolled for Continuous Registration in any term may not be considered enrolled full time for the purposes of, for example, financial aid, student loans, visas, or employment. Moreover, to receive full privileges for the summer term, students must be enrolled either in the summer or for the following fall term.

Repeating a Course

Students may register for and complete a course more than once but it can only be used one time to fulfill graduation requirements. The original grade and grades earned in repeated courses are used in calculating grade point averages.

Credit Load

The maximum load is 15 credits for graduate students regardless of course level or basis of admission. Credit overload approval can be requested from the Graduate School Office with department head or advisor approval.

Graduate assistants are required to register for at least one credit of course work and/or research during fall and spring terms. Assistants who have an appointment in effect in the summer must register for such credits as the appointing department may require. Students on other forms of financial assistance should register for the number of credits required by the sponsor.

Schedule Changes and the Add/Drop and Withdrawal Periods

See Schedule Changes

Registration Alternatives

Independent Study

Independent study is a type of learning that supplements regular, supervised classroom instruction by permitting the student to carry such learning even further, working independently under necessary and sufficient guidance of a supervising instructor. While details of each independent study project are negotiated by the student and instructor, the expectation is that at least three hours per week of directed effort on the student’s part is required for each credit. Personal contact (face-to-face, telephone, Internet, or other forms of communication) is expected.

The instructor and the student shall specify in writing the requirements the student should fulfill to complete the course, including due date, contact expectations, number of credits, and other pertinent information. The instructor, student, and department head shall sign this statement and retain a copy. Upon completion of the project, a copy or description of the work involved shall be retained in the department for at least seven years.

Colorado Exchange Program

See Colorado Exchange Program

About Grades 

Traditional Grading - Plus/Minus

Term grades are reported using the scale below. Faculty use of plus/ minus (+/-) grading is optional. Course instructor(s) should indicate on the course syllabus and/or policy statement the grading system used in the course.

Grade   Grade points per credit
A+ Excellent 4.000
A Excellent 4.000
A- Excellent 3.667
B+ Good 3.334
B Good 3.000
B- Good 2.667
C+ Satisfactory 2.334
C Satisfactory 2.000
D Poor, but passing 1.000
F Failure 0.000
S Satisfactory 1
U Unsatisfactory 2
I Incomplete 2
W Withdrawal 2
AU Audit 2
NG No Grade Reported 2
NGC Non Graded Component 2

Credits not used to compute GPA but counted towards graduation.


Credits not used to compute grade point average (GPA) and not counted toward graduation.

Credits for courses graded F are used to compute GPA, but do not count toward graduation.

When an AM is placed before the grade, it indicates a finding of academic misconduct by the student in the particular course. For more information, see Academic Integrity/Misconduct.

Students may contest whether or not an assigned grade was recorded accurately in the educational record by following the procedures described under the Grade Appeal section.

Student Option Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory 

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory registration for graduate students is subject to limitations imposed by graduate committees and departments. Required courses listed on the program of study may not be taken on a “student-option satisfactory/unsatisfactory” basis. Courses which are offered “satisfactory/unsatisfactory only” or “instructor option satisfactory/unsatisfactory” are acceptable. Background courses may be taken “student-option satisfactory/unsatisfactory” if department policies permit. Registration for satisfactory/unsatisfactory should be approved by the advisor prior to enrollment and cannot be altered except during the schedule change period. Repeating a course on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis for which a previous traditional grade was assigned will not alter the effect of the previous grade on the GPA. For “student-option satisfactory/unsatisfactory” courses:

  • A correct satisfactory/unsatisfactory registration including advisor approval is the express responsibility of each student.
  • Performance equivalent to a grade of C or better is recorded as S (Satisfactory); performance equivalent to a D or F is recorded as U (Unsatisfactory). Neither the S nor U are used in calculating the CSU grade point average.
  • A grade for a course taken as satisfactory/unsatisfactory may not be converted to a traditional grade for purposes of improving the GPA to meet graduation or scholastic requirements.
  • When it is determined that an ineligible student is or has been registered for a satisfactory/unsatisfactory course, a traditional grade will be assigned.

Auditing a Class

A student wanting to attend a class without earning credits may register as an auditor. Auditing a course requires prior approval of the instructor of the course. If an instructor determines that an auditor’s attendance or participation is unsatisfactory, the course will not be recorded on the student’s academic record. Changes to or from audit status must be made during the registration or add/drop period. Tuition and fees are assessed for audited credits. Audits do not count for full-time status for loan deferments, financial aid, etc. Students must register for the course first, then complete the Student Option Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory and Audit Grading form. The form can be found at the Registrar’s Office website.


At the discretion of the instructor, a temporary grade of “I” may be given to a student who demonstrates that he/she could not complete the requirements of a course due to circumstances beyond the student’s control and not reasonably foreseeable. A student must be passing a course at the time that an incomplete is requested unless the instructor determines that there are extenuating circumstances to assign an incomplete to a student who is not passing the course. When an instructor assigns an “I”, he or she shall specify in writing the requirements the student shall fulfill to complete the course as well as the reasons for granting an “I” when the student is not passing the course. The instructor shall retain a copy of this statement in his/her grade records and provide copies to the student and the department head or his or her designee. The student should not register for the course again to complete the coursework. After successful completion of the makeup requirements, incomplete grades will be changed by the instructor of record or the department head, in the absence of the instructor of record. After one year, an incomplete will be automatically changed to an F (failure) unless the course has been previously completed and a grade change submitted by the instructor or the department head. The temporary grade of “I” must be changed to a grade (e.g. A, B, C, D, F, S, U) prior to the student being awarded his/ her diploma from CSU.

Discontinuing a Class (Student Non-Attendance)

If a student discontinues attending a class and has not officially dropped through the Registrar’s Office, the grade of F (failure) is recorded.

Grade Appeals

Instructors are responsible for stating clearly the instructional objectives of the course at the beginning of each term and for evaluating student achievement in a manner consistent with these objectives. Students are responsible for maintaining standards of academic performance established for each course in which they are enrolled. Instructors are responsible for determining and assigning final course grades. Graded examinations, papers, and other materials used as a basis for evaluating a student’s achievement will be available to the student for inspection and discussion.

Students may appeal instructor’s grading decisions. The burden of proof, however, rests with the student to demonstrate that the grading decision was made on the basis of any of the following conditions.

  1. A grading decision was made on some basis other than performance and other than as a penalty for academic misconduct.
  2. A grading decision was based on standards unreasonably different from those which were applied to other students.
  3. A grading decision was based on a substantial, unreasonable, or unannounced departure from previously articulated standards.

Before making an appeal, the student should discuss the situation with the instructor(s) involved in the decision. To appeal a grading decision, the student shall submit a written request to the department head. The request must set forth the basis for the appeal, identifying one or more of the three criteria set forth above.

The request must be submitted (or postmarked, if mailed) no later than thirty (30) calendar days after the first day of classes of the following spring semester for appeal of grades recorded for the fall, and no later than thirty (30) calendar days after the first day of classes of the following fall semester for grades received in the spring or summer semester. If no appeal is filed within this time period, the grade shall be considered final.

Within 30 days of receipt of an appeal, the department head shall forward the appeal to the course instructor(s) who assigned the grade and an appeal committee shall be formed. If the request is received during or shortly before the summer session, when the course instructor(s) who assigned the grade or member of the appeal committee may not be available, the appeal committee will be formed no later than 30 calendar days after the beginning of the following fall semester. The appeal committee shall be composed of two (2) faculty members and two (2) students from within the department and one (1) faculty member from outside the department who shall serve as the chair. All five (5) members of the committee shall be voting members. The procedure for the selection of the members of the appeal committee shall be specified in the department code.

The appeal committee will review the written appeal and response of the instructor(s). They may elect to separately interview both the student and the instructor(s) before rendering a decision. The decision of the appeals committee will be based upon whether one of the conditions for an appeal set forth above has been met. At the conclusion of the deliberations, the committee shall render one of the following decisions:

  1. the original grading decision is upheld, or 
  2. the department chair or designee(s) will reevaluate the student’s achievement of the instructional objectives of the course and assign a grade accordingly.

Written notice of the committee’s decision and the reasons for the decision normally will be sent to the student and the instructor(s) within 30 calendar days of the appointment of the committee. The appeal committee’s decision is the final decision of the University. Written summaries of the hearing and decision, together with a rationale for that decision, shall be provided to the student and the instructor who assigned the grade and shall be retained in the department office for a period of one year.

Semester Grades

Students may access their semester grades through RAMweb three business days after the week of final exams of each term.


Transcripts of students’ official academic records are maintained by the Registrar’s Office. Official and unofficial copies of a student’s transcript may be obtained by the student through RAMweb.

Enrollment or Degree Verification

For verification of enrollment status, term(s) of attendance, or degree awarded, go to RAMweb. For other verifications contact the Registrar’s Office in Centennial Hall, Room 100.

Degree Conferral

See Degree Conferral

About Withdrawals 

Withdrawal from a Course

The course withdrawal period begins after the add/drop period has ended and closes at the end of the eighth week of the term for most courses. A “W” grade notation (withdrawal) will be recorded on the academic record and displayed on the official transcript. See Schedule Changes and the Add/Drop and Withdrawal Periods under Registration/Schedule Changes.

Withdrawal from CSU

University withdrawal (to drop all courses and leave CSU) is different from dropping one or more courses. If the first day of the semester has not yet begun, students may cancel their course schedule through RAMweb without any charge. Once classes have started, students who are planning to drop all courses and leave CSU for any reason during the fall or spring term may start the University withdrawal process on RAMweb prior to their departure. For tuition assessment appeals, they must contact the Center for Advising and Student Achievement (CASA), in The Institute for Teaching and Learning (TILT) , Room 121. Unless the University withdrawal procedure is followed, students are not eligible for any adjustment (if appropriate) of tuition and fees and will receive failing grades in all courses.

Called to Active Military Duty

CSU will assist any student called to active military service with reasonable accommodations and in making the best possible transition. As a primary point-of contact, students are encouraged to work with the Adult Learner and Veterans Services (ALVS) Office and the Center for Advising and Student Achievement (CASA) in order to review all options prior to leaving CSU. Depending on when in the semester the student is called to duty, they will have different options, including University withdrawal, late withdrawals, or incompletes.

If the student chooses to withdraw from CSU as a result of the amount of time required away from their studies during military service, upon presentation of military orders, the tuition paid for the semester will be refunded. All students need to request a University withdrawal on RAMweb and then contact the Center for Advising and Student Achievement (CASA) to request a tuition assessment appeal.

Students called into active duty while engaged in a degree program will be able to fulfill the Continuous Enrollment Requirement by requesting a leave of absence with their department or program coordinator or through CASA, above, and be enrolled for CR without charge. Students failing to request leave prior to deployment may, upon their return, petition to re-enter their degree program without the cost of the reapplication fee. Students engaged in a distance degree program while on active duty and who wish to enroll/remain enrolled in courses may do so subject to the requirements of the program. The options for a withdrawal or incomplete grade remain, as noted above.

If the student has completed most of the semester in which they are called to active duty, they may work with their individual instructors to assess whether or not incompletes are a viable option. The ALVS Office will assist students in this process. At the discretion of the instructor, a temporary grade of “I” may be assigned to a student passing a course. The student and instructor will complete a contract for course completion. The student called to military duty will have an extended time allowed for course completion, that being one full year after the student has returned to CSU. There are no refunds associated with receiving incompletes and no fees associated with completing courses.

If a student encounters a different scenario during the semester, such as being gone for a limited amount of time, they are encouraged to work with the ALVS Office in order to work on reasonable accommodations in their courses or selected withdrawals from individual courses.

University Withdrawal for Call to Active Duty Process

See University Withdrawal for Call to Active Duty Process.

Retroactive Withdrawal

A student may request that all grades in an academic period (one or more semesters of continuous enrollment) be retroactively removed and be replaced by entries of “W” on his or her transcript. A retroactive withdrawal may be granted only when a student could neither function normally during the academic period nor be reasonably expected to complete a university withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances such as an incident leading to major physical or mental trauma.

Failure to academically perform due to factors such as the following would not generally qualify a student for retroactive withdrawal:

  • Bad habits or poor judgment.
  • Time management issues.
  • Failed relationships/roommate problems.
  • Failure to use University resources.
  • Ignorance of University policies.

A retroactive withdrawal is not allowed if a student has earned a degree from CSU and the semester in question was used to meet University, college, or departmental requirements for the degree. Generally, requests are not allowed after four years have elapsed since the end of the last semester covered by the request.

Students are allowed two requests for the same period, the second request requiring additional supportive documentation. If granted, assessment of tuition and fees remains unchanged. The student’s academic record will remain unchanged if a request is denied.

A graduate student applying for a retroactive withdrawal must submit a written request with supportive, written documentation from a credible source to the Center for Advising and Student Achievement (CASA), The Institute for Learning and Teaching (TILT), Room 121. The request will be forwarded to the Faculty Council Committee on Scholastic Standards. In addition, students must meet with an academic advisor at CASA to review the application process.

Class Attendance and Final Exams 

Class Attendance Regulations

See Class Attendance Regulations.

Final Examinations

See Final Examinations.