Office in Lory Student Center, Room 118
Rocky Mountain Student Media, formerly the Student Media Department, supports 225 paid and 100 CSU student volunteers who produce the Rocky Mountain Collegian and collegian.com, a student newspaper and digital medium; College Avenue, a quarterly student magazine; CTV and CSU TV 11, a student television production facility; and a 10,000-watt radio station, KCSU-FM (90.5). Every medium is student-run, meaning the students determine each medium’s content. The Collegian website also includes information about CTV, College Avenue Magazine, and KCSU-FM.
RMSMC is a not for profit educational media organization created in 2008 by the Board of Governors of the Colorado State University System. RMSMC operates with an independent Board of Directors consisting primarily of CSU students, two community members, and a representative from both the Vice President for Student Affairs and the Chair of the Department of Journalism and Media Communication.
The RMSMC is dedicated to community service and enhancing the educational mission of Colorado State University by empowering, training, and equipping students to excel in journalistic and other media methods, ethics, critical thinking, and management.
The primary goals of the RMSMC are to:
- Commit to uphold truth, fairness, integrity, independence, accountability, accuracy, professionalism, and minimizing harm as stated in the RMSMC’s codes of ethics;
- Create and maintain a welcoming environment and diversity in staffing, media content, and access through responsiveness and outreach;
- Empower students through training and practical experience to become thoughtful, ethical, and skilled media producers;
- Operate in a socially and financially responsible manner;
- Protect student control over media content, free from prior restraint or censorship;
- Recognize both the unique characteristics of each medium and the value of working together to maximize benefits for listeners, viewers, and readers;
- Remain abreast of media technology, equipment, and training to provide students with the necessary tools to succeed; and,
- Serve the community by delivering relevant and timely news, information, and entertainment, and maintaining the public trust by ensuring the public’s business is conducted in an open and transparent manner.