CSU Academic Integrity Policy and Student Conduct Code
Class Attendance Regulations
Final Examinations
Undergraduate Planned Leave
Undergraduate Change of Major, Concentration, Minor, or Certificate

CSU Academic Integrity Policy and Student Conduct Code

The CSU Academic Integrity Policy and Student Conduct Code exist to notify students, faculty, and staff of the specific expectations Colorado State University holds related to student behavior and the rights and responsibilities that accompany being a student and participating in student clubs or organizations.

Class Attendance Regulations 

Students should attend all classes for which they are registered to obtain maximum educational benefits. Absence or lateness does not excuse students from required course work.

Instructors and departments are responsible for establishing class attendance policies. These policies must accommodate student participation in University-sanctioned, extracurricular/co-curricular activities. Students must inform their instructors prior to anticipated absences and take the initiative to make up missed work in a timely fashion. Instructors must make reasonable efforts to enable students to make up work which must be accomplished under the instructor’s supervision (e.g., examinations, laboratories). In the event of a conflict in regard to this policy, individuals may appeal using established CSU procedures.

For purposes of this regulation, University-sanctioned activities include competitions, events, and professional meetings in which students are officially representing the institution. Appropriate sanctioned activities include:

  • Intercollegiate athletics;
  • Collegiate club sports and competitions;
  • Conferences and workshops recognized by CSU not related to academics;
  • Commitments on behalf of CSU (ASCSU, band, etc.); and
  • Professional activities recognized by CSU related to academics.

Department heads or their designated representatives must approve sanctioned professional and departmental activities. Other sanctioned activities must be approved by the appropriate program director on record with the Division of Student Affairs offices or the Department of Athletics. Refer to this list for the appropriate approving authority.

CSU policy permits only enrolled students, persons attending with the permission of the instructor, and administrative personnel of CSU to be present in a classroom during scheduled classroom periods.

At the discretion of the instructor in charge, any full-time student, faculty member, or lifelong learner may attend any class without formal registration provided adequate classroom space is available.

Academic departments may replace any students in a course who fail to attend both of the first two regularly scheduled meetings of the class (one meeting for laboratory courses or for classes which meet once each week), unless the students have notified the department in advance. Since this procedure is a department option, students remain responsible for dropping courses they do not intend to complete within the required time period for drops.

Student Bereavement Leave

Student Case Management and Referral Coordination (SCM) supports students in crisis situations and provides resources for ongoing care. To request Bereavement Leave, students are responsible for meeting with a Case Manager and requesting the amount of excused bereavement leave needed, to the extent deemed appropriate and advisable in view of circumstances (travel to another state or distant point, religious ceremonies, etc.), not to exceed five (5) days total and not required to be consecutive, for the death of a family member or other significant person with whom the student has a relationship. The definition of family member and significant person is purposely broad because today's families do not reflect a traditional or easily defined family structure. In addition, there are other relationships that have a significant impact on a student's life, e.g. friend, lifelong neighbor, college roommate, etc.

SCM will collect basic information, at a minimum, including the full name of the deceased, date of passing, relationship to the student, requested days of excused absence, circumstances of the request (immediate grief, funeral/memorial service, travel, religious ceremonies, commemorative ceremony, etc.). SCM will provide the student with a Bereavement Instructor Notification that the student will provide to their faculty. The student and faculty should collaborate on a written course plan that minimizes or eliminates the negative impact of absences related to bereavement.

In some instances, determined by the instructor, faculty, or department, it may not be possible to make-up course work, including collaborative, practical, lab experiences, exams, quizzes, and other assignments. Missing coursework may have a negative effect on a student's overall grade. Absence from class, for any situation, may be detrimental to a student's learning, grade, academic plan, graduation, financial aid, scholarship status, etc. even if excused. (Faculty Council approved minutes Dec. 6, 2022)

Religious or Spiritual Holidays and Observances

CSU has a legal obligation to accommodate students’ absences due to religious or spiritual observances. For such an accommodation, it is the student’s responsibility to complete the Religious Accommodation Request Form at the beginning of each semester and submit the request via the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs website. The Dean of Students will communicate with the instructor regarding the student's absence and the student is instructed to discuss how best to ensure an accommodation related to class conflicts. For religious observances that cannot reasonably be anticipated at the beginning of the semester, students must follow the procedure above as soon as possible after the course conflict is identified. If a student knows that a particular course or section of the course will have multiple conflicts with their religious or spiritual obligations, the student is advised to locate another course section or defer taking the course to a different semester. In the event of a conflict in regards to this policy, individuals may appeal using established CSU procedures. Instructors are advised to provide reasonable accommodations to ensure compliance with CSU’s obligations.

Final Examinations 

Final examinations, as appropriate, are given during the final week of each semester. During this week, classes are rescheduled to meet for two-hour periods.

The following procedures apply to all courses during the final week of the semester:

  1. Final examination week is part of the regular semester. Student attendance shall be consistent with CSU policy.
  2. The final in-class examination period is intended for the end-of-semester examination. No in-class examination constituting more than 10% of the final course grade may be given in undergraduate courses during the week preceding the final examination period of the semester; laboratory, performance, and other alternative classes (e.g., courses in PACe - the individualized mathematics program) excluded. It is the responsibility of the department head, or, where appropriate, the school head, to ensure compliance with this policy.
  3. Courses for less than four credits shall meet for one period. Courses for four or more credits may meet for two periods.
  4. Classes that begin at times other than on the hour (i.e., 9:30, 2:10, 3:35, etc.) will use the time period assigned for the hour (i.e., 9:00, 2:00, 3:00, etc.). For example, a 4:30 TR class would use the 4:00 TR assigned final examination period.
  5. Classes shall meet only at the times indicated on the final examination schedule.
  6. Any exception of regulations 3 or 5 above, e.g., special types of examinations which need more time or special locations to conduct, must be approved by the Associate Registrar in Curriculum, Catalog, and Scheduling prior to the second week of class and announced in classes by the second week.
  7. If a student has three or more final examinations (not classes) scheduled for the same day or if conflicts of examination times occur, the student may negotiate a time change with the instructors involved. If the parties involved cannot find a mutually agreeable time, the Office of the Registrar indicates which courses must be changed. Note: The Associate Registrar in Curriculum, Catalog, and Scheduling, must be notified at least one week prior to final examination week to allow instructors time to make appropriate accommodations.

Any student who has a conflict with the examination schedule must inform the instructor as soon as possible before the examination. If an agreement cannot be reached between the instructor and student as to the appropriateness of a make-up examination, the student should appeal to the department head.

Undergraduate Planned Leave 

Undergraduate Planned Leave is a status intended to help students more easily and effectively take up to three fall or spring semesters away from their CSU studies and successfully return again. Students who obtain Undergraduate Planned Leave status do not have to re-apply for admission to CSU upon return. In addition, students will have access to their CSU email account and we will communicate with students on Planned Leave in an attempt to help facilitate their successful and timely return.

All undergraduate students seeking their first or second bachelor’s degree (CSU on-campus and CSU Extended Campus) either in good standing or in the academic watch process are eligible for Planned Leave. Students will be granted a Planned Leave for up to three semesters. (A semester is defined as a fall or spring semester and excludes summer sessions; for example, Planned Leave is granted for fall and the student returns the following spring, or is granted for spring and returns the following fall.) Semesters may, but are not required to, be taken consecutively.  Any student leaving for more than three semesters should utilize CSU’s Returning Student process via the Office of Admissions when they return. Any student leaving longer than three semesters due to military service should work with the Adult Learner and Veteran’s Services Office or the Veteran’s Education Benefits Office to discuss available options.

Per CSU transfer evaluation guidelines, students on Planned Leave may enroll at another domestic post-secondary institution during their Planned Leave. Any student planning on going to an international post-secondary institution must have a conversation with, and follow the processes of, the Education Abroad Office to evaluate what, if any, of the credits taken might transfer back to CSU.

International study while on Planned Leave is not the same as regular Education Abroad. Many different issues arise and processes must be followed by students in the Education Abroad program. Students participating in Education Abroad (for-credit study, intern, volunteer, work, or research abroad programs) have a separate CSU process for managing planned leave and therefore are not eligible to participate in this policy. 

Students interested in obtaining Planned Leave status must apply via RAMweb and be approved before leaving. The deadline to apply for Planned Leave is Sunday at 11:59pm prior to classes starting. For additional information, see the Office of the Registrar's website.(Faculty Council approved minutes May 2, 2023)

Student Financial Assistance

Most Financial Aid is handled under Federal Title IV requirements. Students who are receiving financial aid should request information about current and future term eligibility when considering Planned Leave. Students who are receiving scholarships should request information regarding renewability. Students are not eligible for any financial aid disbursements during the semester(s) on Planned Leave. Students on Planned Leave will be reported to lenders and loan service agencies as “non-attending” and will need to contact lenders for information regarding possible repayment requirements.

International Students

Because there are federal visa requirements, international students must discuss their options for Planned Leave with the Office of International Programs (OIP) to determine the impact of the Planned Leave to their immigration status. All international students must be enrolled in a full course of study while in the United States.

Returning from Planned Leave

A full set of steps for students returning from a Planned Leave are available on the Planned Leave website.(Faculty Council approved minutes March 6, 2018)

Undergraduate Change of Major, Concentration, Minor, or Certificate 

Change of Undergraduate Major

Newly admitted students who have not begun classes must contact the Office of Admissions to change their major.

In many, but not all cases, an undergraduate student regularly enrolled in CSU may change from one major to another. Students complete this process by working with the advisor/academic success coordinator in the department to which they would like to change. Students should schedule an appointment by contacting the department offering the major, minor, or certificate to which they would like to change (or add). Some departments create advising appointments by phone, others via signing up online; some advising appointments are individual, others are group change of major sessions.

Some majors—considered competitive or controlled-entry majors—require specific entrance requirements (portfolio, audition, cumulative GPA, grades in specified courses, etc.). Students wishing to change from one major to another can obtain information about any restrictions or requirements that may be in place, as well as the actual process involved, from their advisor, the academic department offering the major, or from the Collaborative for Student Achievement

Dropping a Major, Minor, Concentration, or Certificate

Students wishing to drop a minor or second major should make an appointment with their academic advisor/academic success coordinator to be sure all options are fully understood. Students then submit a program change via RAMweb. For additional information, see the Office of the Registrar's website.

Changes of major, minor, or certificate are generally processed within one business week. Students may check their status in RAMweb.