Non-U.S. citizens educated outside of the U.S. who require a student visa 

  • Refer to the International Undergraduate application guide appropriate to your applicant type (e.g., freshman/first-year, transfer).
  • You may be required to demonstrate English proficiency to be considered for direct admission.
  • Applicants are required to submit an immigration information form, financial support documentation and a copy of their passport as part of the application for admission in order to expedite the issuance of immigration documents upon admission. Immigration information is not considered in the admission decision, and receiving CSU immigration documents upon admission does not bind a student to enroll at CSU.
  • Contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for information about immigration documents, international student orientation and check-in.

Non-U.S. citizens educated outside of the U.S. who will NOT require a student visa 

Non-U.S. citizens/Non-permanent residents educated inside the U.S. 

U.S. citizens/permanent residents educated outside of the U.S.  

CSU recognizes that the pool of U.S. citizens/permanent residents educated abroad covers a wide spectrum, including students with dual citizenship who have never been to the U.S., U.S.-born students who have lived in multiple countries or who have only recently moved overseas as the result of family military or employment assignments, and U.S. permanent residents with varied amounts of U.S.-based education. 

Our comprehensive, individual review process is designed to recognize and incorporate these kinds of unique experiences into our evaluation. Refer to the application guide appropriate to your applicant type (e.g., freshman/first-year, transfer), and we will adapt our review process to your circumstances.

As we review your credentials, we'll notify you if any additional support information is required to assess your potential for academic success at CSU. For example, we may ask you to provide English proficiency documentation and a translation of academic records if your primary language and/or language of instruction is not English.

U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents who have been educated abroad may be eligible for financial aid. Refer to Financial Assistance in the Financial Information section for more information.

English Proficiency 

We offer a variety of options to demonstrate English proficiency.