Class Schedule 

The Class Schedule is available in RAMweb or to the public via the CSU website prior to the beginning of registration for a given term. To find the schedule via the CSU website, select "Resources," then "C," and then "Class Schedule."

Registration Process 

Students register for classes, including adding or dropping courses, online through RAMweb. The class schedule is available through RAMweb approximately one month prior to the start of registration, allowing students to plan their schedules. Plan Ahead, a schedule planning tool, is also available in RAMweb through the Registration link.

Before registering for classes, students must complete the Registration Ready portion of the process. In order to communicate quickly and effectively with students, CSU sends many official campus communications via email. Students confirm their email address via Registration Ready. Students are also required to maintain a current mailing address. Once Registration Ready is complete and the student’s Registration Access Date/Time has arrived (viewable in RAMweb), a student may register for classes.

Military veterans will receive a priority Registration Access Date/Time to register for their classes.

Registration and payment deadlines must be met in order for registration to proceed. Students should respond to correspondence from CSU, including email correspondence, in a timely manner to avoid missing crucial deadlines.

Registration Waitlist

Registration Waitlists are available for students attempting to register for class sections that are already full. When a class has reached capacity and shows a waitlist is available, students may sign up on the waitlist. Students are e-mailed and texted (if they set their text messaging options to allow Academic and Financial Alerts via RAMweb) when a seat opens in the class. Students then have a 24-hour window to register for the class. If the student does not register, they are taken off the waitlist, and a notification goes to the next student on the waitlist.

Go to RAMweb or the Office of the Registrar’s webpage for frequently asked questions and answers about the Registration Waitlist.

Course Overrides

Even when a class has reached its published enrollment limit, the instructor may give special permission for a student to register for the course. Students should inquire about overrides with the instructor assigned to teach the class or the department offering the class. Overrides are processed electronically via ARIESweb by the instructor or department offering the course. Once granted an override, the student must still register for the course through RAMweb.

Credit Overload 

Undergraduate students who wish to register for more than 18 credits per term must have an overload approved and submitted through ARIESweb by their Academic Success Coordinator/Academic Advisor. Requests for undergraduate students to register for 21 or more credits in a given term must be approved by the department chair/department head. 

Graduate students who wish to register for more than 15 credits per term must also have an overload approved and submitted through ARIESweb by their advisor. Requests for graduate students to register for 19 or more credits requires approval from the Graduate School. 

Variable Credit Course Registration

Some courses, such as research or field placements, are available for variable credits. Learn more about adjusting variable credits on the Office of the Registrar's website.

Auditing a Class

Students interested in learning content of a course but who do not need it to count toward graduation may choose to audit the course, if the option is available. Learn more about auditing a course.

Late Registration

A Late Registration Charge of $50 (subject to change) is assessed for adding the first course on or after the first day of classes or for late adds after the registration period ends.

Graduate students who register for Continuous Registration or their first course for the term on or after the first day of the term will be charged a $50 Late Registration Charge.

Repeating a Course

Students may register for and complete a course more than once, but it can only be used one time to fulfill graduation requirements. The original grade and grades earned in repeated courses are used in calculating grade point averages, unless a student exercises the Repeat/Repair policy.


Undergraduate students who retake courses have the opportunity to exercise the Repeat/Repair option. Students need to take steps to make this happen. Learn more about Repeat/Repair.

Enrollment and Degree Verification

For verification of enrollment status, term(s) of attendance, or degree awarded, go to RAMweb and select Enrollment Verification from the Records option in the main menu. Learn more at the Office of the Registrar.

Schedule Changes 

Schedule Changes and the Add/Drop and Withdrawal Periods

Periods for changing schedules (adds, drops, withdrawals, changes of sections, grading options, or credits) are listed in the Academic Calendar and in the online class schedule. Add, drop, and withdraw dates for specific sections may be located by selecting the section's title in the class schedule. The Class Details section in the pop-up window will list those dates. Once registered, those dates are also available on RAMweb by selecting "Registered Course Details" in the weekly class schedule. Courses taught in terms of less than 16 weeks are subject to shorter add/drop and withdrawal periods.

Adding a class

During the regular 16-week Fall and Spring semesters, courses may be added without an override through 11:59 PM Sunday at the end of the first week of classes. Beginning Monday of the second week of classes, courses may be added with an electronic "Department Approval - Restricted Add" override from the instructor through the census date, which is the 12th day of classes of the semester. The approval to provide the override is at the discretion of the instructor or teaching department. Course instructors may authorize their department offices to perform these overrides.

Dropping a class

Regular courses may be dropped through the census date, which is the 12th day of classes for the semester. Restricted-drop courses must be dropped before 11:59 PM Friday at the end of the first week of classes. Courses dropped during this period are not reflected on the student’s academic record, and tuition and fees may be adjusted as a result. Consult the appropriate class schedule for course drop deadlines. No drops may be made after the end of the add/drop period.

Withdrawing from a class

The course withdrawal period begins after the add/drop period and closes at the end of the twelfth week of the semester. A "W" (withdrawal) grade notation will be recorded on the academic record. See also Class Attendance Regulations. Tuition and fees will not be adjusted for withdrawals during the course withdrawal period. See also Tuition and Fee Adjustments in the Financial Information section.

Courses taught in terms of less than 16 weeks are subject to shorter add/drop and withdrawal periods. Select the class section's title in the class schedule and then the Class Details section in the pop-up window to view a class’s specific add, drop, and withdraw dates.

Students withdrawing from CSU may not use the drop procedure to drop all classes but must instead complete the Semester Withdrawal process.

Registration Cancellation (Prior to Start of Term)

Prior to the beginning of the semester, all courses can be canceled via the web registration system on RAMweb with no charge.

Semester Withdrawal

Semester Withdrawal refers to a student withdrawing from all classes for a given term, starting the first day of the term and on or before the last day of classes (before Final Exams week).

Any student interested in completing a Semester Withdrawal will do so, online, through RAMweb. Students are encouraged to discuss their plans to complete a Semester Withdrawal with the following individuals/departments, as applicable: Academic Success Coordinator/Academic Advisor, Financial Aid, Veterans Education Benefits Office, Student Athlete Support Services, International Student and Scholar Services, CSU Online, and the Graduate School.

Semester Withdrawal for Call to Active Duty

Called to Active Military Duty

CSU will assist any student called to active military service with reasonable accommodations and in making the best possible transition. As a primary point of contact, students are encouraged to work with Adult Learner and Veterans Services (ALVS). Depending on when in the semester the student is called to duty, different options may be available including Semester Withdrawal, late withdrawals, or Incomplete grades.

Students anticipating being gone for a limited amount of time are encouraged to work with ALVS in order to explore reasonable accommodations in their courses or selected withdrawals from individual courses.

Semester Withdrawal for Call to Active Duty:

  1. To complete a Semester Withdrawal, a student should do so through RAMweb
  2. Ideally, you will have your deployment orders in hand when you visit ALVS. If you do not have your orders with you, or can only complete the withdrawal over the phone, then you can submit the orders to ALVS at 970-491-3977.  When ALVS receives the orders, your tuition assessment will be adjusted to 0%.
  3. If you are deployed between academic terms (for example, at the end of the semester or over the summer), you do not need to withdraw online or contact ALVS to withdraw; however, you do need to be sure you have cancelled your registration for the upcoming term. You may cancel courses on RAMweb.
  4. Graduate students: Please be sure to review your options for Continuous Registration versus Graduate Application for Readmission as you make arrangements for your deployment.
  5. Short-term deployments may not require a Semester Withdrawal, depending upon the length of the deployment and when in the semester it occurs. Students given orders for a short-term deployment should work directly with their instructors, who are strongly encouraged to accommodate deployed students with a reasonable plan for making up work. Students who are advised they may be assessed a penalty for the absence should contact Adult Learner and Veteran Services (ALVS) to discuss their options. If you have any questions about the withdrawal process, be sure to consult ALVS.

To return to CSU (whether you were deployed during the academic term or between terms):

  1. Returning undergraduate students should go to the Office of Admissions website for information on the Undergraduate Intent to Return process. 
  2. The Returning Student Application asks you which semester you plan to return to CSU. As soon as you know when you will return, you should submit the application so you can register for classes in a timely manner. Please note the relevant application deadline. Keep your academic advisor/academic success coordinator apprised of your plans—by phone or email if necessary—so they can make sure you have a schedule figured out for your returning semester.
  3. Returning graduate students who have not utilized Continuous Registration must complete and submit a Graduate Application for Readmission and a copy of the deployment orders in order to have the $150 readmission fee waived.
  4. Graduate students who choose to utilize Continuous Registration during their deployment are not required to reapply when they return, but they will be charged $150 and the University Technology Fee per academic term that they are away. The continuous registration fee is NOT waived for deployment.

Important note: If you were admitted to CSU and were not able to enroll due to deployment, you may be required to submit a new application for admission and new supporting documents depending upon your original term of admission. Enrollment deferrals of up to one year beyond the original term of admission are allowed in such cases but must be arranged in advance; deadlines apply.

If you have questions about the return process (for enrolled students) or about obtaining an enrollment deferral (for newly admitted students), please contact the Office of Admissions at

Retroactive Withdrawal

A student may request that all grades in an academic period (one or more semesters of continuous enrollment) be retroactively removed and replaced by entries of "W" on their transcript. A retroactive withdrawal may be granted only when a student’s academic progress was seriously adversely impacted by documented extenuating circumstances outside of the student’s control during the academic period(s) in question, and the student could not be reasonably expected to complete a Semester Withdrawal in the ordinary manner, given these circumstances. Examples of extenuating circumstances include (but are not limited to):

  • Serious personal/family issues
  • Significant and lasting mental or physical health issues
  • Unexpected financial difficulties of sufficient magnitude to cause significant threat to the student’s physical and/or mental wellbeing
  • Other crisis situations

Failure to academically perform due to factors such as the following would not generally qualify a student for retroactive withdrawal:

  • Bad habits or poor judgment
  • Time management issues/working too many hours
  • Ignorance of University policies

​​A retroactive withdrawal is not allowed if a student has earned a degree from CSU and the semester in question was used to meet University, college, or departmental requirements for the degree.

Students are allowed two requests for the same period, the second request requiring additional supportive documentation. If granted, assessment of tuition and fees remains unchanged. The student’s academic record will remain unchanged if a request is denied.

An undergraduate or graduate student applying for a retroactive withdrawal must submit an online request accompanied by a personal statement from the student and supportive, third-party official documentation from a relevant professional or CSU department that references dates for the semester in question. Examples of support documentation may include but are not limited to: reports from medical professionals, obituary notices, letters or correspondence from CSU staff or faculty, or legal documentationIf the justification for the request is based on death or serious illness of someone with whom the student has a very close relationship, the student must document the relationship to this person as well as the death or serious illness of that person. The request will be forwarded to the Faculty Council Committee on Scholastic Standards. It is recommended that students consult with their academic success coordinator/academic advisor or the Collegiate Success Coach for assistance with the retroactive withdrawal process.

For questions, please contact

Undergraduate Planned Leave 

Undergraduate Planned Leave is a status intended to help students more easily and effectively take one, two, or three regular semester(s) (fall or spring) away from their CSU studies and successfully return again. Students who obtain Planned Leave status and comply with its requirements do not have to re-apply for admission to CSU if returning the subsequent semester. Approved Planned Leave appears on the official CSU transcript and verifies the University granted a leave for one, two, or three semesters. During their absence, students on Planned Leave continue to have access to their CSU email account and receive ongoing communication from the University to help facilitate their successful and timely return. For more information, see Undergraduate Planned Leave in Academic Standards and Policies.

Graduate Continuous Registration 

All students admitted to a graduate degree program are required to be continuously enrolled in their degree programs in the fall and spring semesters. This policy applies from the time of first enrollment through the graduation term. Students should contact their advisor if they do not plan to register for at least one credit of course work or research. Learn more about Continuous Registration.

Registration Alternatives 

Auditing a Class

See Auditing a Class in Grading.

Non-Degree GUEST Program

GUEST is a non-degree enrollment option for community members who wish to take one or two CSU classes during a fall or spring semester without applying for admission as a degree-seeking student. Learn more about applying for admission to the GUEST program.

CSU Online/Continuing Education

Taking online courses is an appealing option for many students. CSU Online (Continuing Education) offers access to individual courses, full degree programs, and graduate certificates. Learn more at CSU Online.

Lifelong Learners

CSU is supportive of lifelong learners. Community members age 55 or older may attend academic classes, free of tuition charges, on a space-available basis with permission of the instructor. Course fees (e.g., transportation expenses, breakage fees, consumable supplies associated with labs, etc.) as published in the class schedule will be assessed to visitors. As visitors, lifelong learners are not registered for the classes, have no academic record of attending, and earn no academic credit. Learn more at the Office of the Registrar's website.

Taking Courses at Another Institution

Enrolled students who wish to take undergraduate courses at another regionally accredited institution to transfer to CSU should first determine how the courses will be accepted in transfer. To do so, the student will need to access the Transferology™ website. For more information about Transferology™, refer to the Office of the Registrar’s website.

If Transferology™ does not list the desired course or its institution, or if it shows an equivalent course different from what the student is seeking, the student should contact the Degree and Transfer Evaluation unit of the Office of the Registrar by phone at (970) 491-4860 or email at to confirm the equivalent. If the course does not have an established equivalent, the student may petition the academic department of the class being transferred in to approve a course equivalent using the Transfer Course Equivalency Pre-Approval Form, available on the Office of the Registrar’s website. The appropriate academic department must determine if a course can be accepted as the desired equivalent. Upon approval, the student returns the signed form to the Office of the Registrar prior to transferring the course.

Students wishing to take courses at an international institution will need to have the Office of the Registrar evaluate the courses to determine how they will be accepted in transfer. To do so, the student must supply the Office of the Registrar with a copy of the course description and/or syllabus, in English, of each course they wish to take by email at, by fax at (970) 491-2283, or in person in Centennial Hall.

Students are responsible for ensuring an official transcript is sent to the Office of the Registrar after the completion of the off-campus course work. No credit will be evaluated until an official transcript has been received. A certified translation must accompany transcripts not issued in English. Courses with less than a C- grade, or equivalent, are not accepted as transfer credit toward a degree at any time, in any major.

The student must file a Returning Student Application with the Office of Admissions prior to leaving campus if the course work is taken in any term other than summer session.

See also Education Abroad, in Interdisciplinary Opportunities.

Credit for Education Abroad

Students are encouraged to participate in accredited education abroad programs. Credit is granted for courses taken in programs approved in advance by CSU, subject to certain conditions. To apply for credit, a student must complete an “Education Abroad Transfer Credit Policy & Approval Form” available at the Education Abroad Office located in Laurel Hall.

Aims Community College Cooperative Registration Agreement

Under a cooperative program with Aims Community College (Greeley), CSU students may register for one course (maximum of five credits) per term without additional tuition assessment.

Eligibility – Students must be enrolled at CSU in resident instruction courses, i.e., not Continuing Education or Placement.

Credit Load – For the above corresponding terms, CSU students must be registered for at least 12 credits to attend Aims Community College.

Course Restriction – Registration for a maximum of one undergraduate, resident instruction course (maximum of five credits) is authorized. Registration will be subject to the availability of the course and the student meeting the prerequisites.

Tuition – Tuition and student fees for the course taken under this agreement will not be charged to the eligible student, but applicable course fees will be paid by the student. If the student is determined to be ineligible for this cooperative registration privilege, applicable tuition and student fees will be assessed, and the student will be responsible for payment of these charges.

Registration – Applicable forms are available on the Office of the Registrar’s website or at the Office of the Registrar in Centennial Hall.

CSU does not have a registration agreement with Front Range Community College.

Challenging Colorado State Courses for Credit

The opportunity to challenge the content of a course on the basis of an examination may be permitted. This option is at the discretion of the individual department and may exclude courses where a laboratory or practicum is an integral part of the course being challenged.

A fee of $20 (subject to change) per credit attempted is assessed and is not refundable. Upon successful completion of an exam, a grade of S (satisfactory) is recorded on the student’s academic record. No record of unsuccessful attempts is recorded.

A course may not be challenged under the following conditions:

  • To satisfy the residence requirement for graduation.
  • When the person seeking credit is not currently registered at Colorado State University at the time the examination is administered.
  • When a student has previously failed a placement or challenge exam for the course.

Students wishing to establish credit by challenge may obtain information from the Office of the Registrar's website.