Office of Financial Aid 

Centennial Hall
(970) 491-6321

The Office of Financial Aid administers a variety of institutional, state, federal, and private financial assistance programs for qualified students. Financial assistance programs include scholarships, grants, loans, and employment. Employment opportunities available include the Work Study Program, on-campus departmental positions, and community part-time employment.

Financial Aid Programs

CSU offers a variety of financial assistance programs for students based on merit and income. Awards recognize scholastic achievement, assist low income students, and provide funding so students can reach their goal of graduation.

Detailed information on all financial aid programs is available on request from the Office of Financial Aid. Financial aid policies and procedures may change without notice.


CSU administers state, federal, institutional, private agency, foundation, service club, and individual scholarships. The CSU Scholarship Application (CSUSA) is available on RAMweb October 1 to March 1 of each year. Students use the CSUSA to apply for most CSU scholarships. Scholarship information, including specific criteria, application requirements, and deadline dates is available on the website.

Nationally Competitive Scholarship Opportunities

Assistance is available to qualified undergraduate students who wish to apply for nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships sponsored by federal and private organizations. These include but are not limited to the Truman, Marshall, Udall, Rhodes, Gates-Cambridge, Goldwater, and Fulbright scholarships. These scholarships and fellowships are highly competitive and require high grade point averages (GPAs), a commitment to service both on and off campus, and specific career and professional goals. In many instances, these organizations support undergraduate and/or graduate work within the United States as well as abroad. The Office for Scholarship and Fellowship Advising provides students with information on eligibility, campus deadlines, and assistance in applying for these nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships.


CSU administers a number of grant programs available to undergraduate students. Several are restricted to Colorado residents.

  • Colorado Student Grant (Colorado’s College Responsibility Program)
  • CSU Tuition Assistance Grant
  • CSU Ram Grant
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

CSU administers the Federal Pell Grant program for qualified undergraduates. The federal government establishes the dollar limit for the Federal Pell Grant program each year. All grants may be re-awarded in subsequent years, providing the student reapplies for financial aid, continues to document financial need, and maintains satisfactory academic progress.


CSU participates in the following loan programs:

  • Federal Perkins Loan Program (new loan disbursements discontinued as of September 30, 2017)
  • Federal Direct Loan Programs, both subsidized and unsubsidized
  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Program
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Program
  • Health Professions Loan Program – veterinary medicine degree program only

Loan amounts vary depending on degree program, need, eligibility, availability of funds, and maximum limits established by federal regulations.


Work-study programs are administered by Student Employment Services and provide part-time employment opportunities to qualified, degree-seeking students. Types of work-study awarded include federal and state need-based work-study, as well as state and institutional no-need work-study. Work-study awards are based on the evaluation of a student's financial need (or no-need) and availability of funds. 

If not initially awarded work-study, students can apply via the Request Work-Study Application on RAMweb. Students who have work-study earnings in the current year should have it renewed for the next year, and would not need to complete the application.  All work-study is limited in funding and is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Request Work-Study Application is available May 1 (on RAMweb) for the following academic year. Undergraduate and graduate, new and continuing, resident and non-resident students are eligible to apply. 

Applying for and Retaining Financial Aid 

Application Procedures for Need-Based Financial Aid

Students use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial aid. Application and procedures for any of the above programs may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid and is available on the website.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

Students applying for and/or receiving financial aid are expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress. Failure to perform at established levels may result in students becoming ineligible for financial aid. Copies of the complete policy are available at the Office of Financial Aid, in “Your Financial Aid Guide,” or on the website.

Unofficial Withdrawals

Students who leave CSU and do not formally withdraw will be assigned grades of “U” (unsatisfactory) or “F” (failure). Additionally, recipients of federal aid who never began attendance or who unofficially withdrew from CSU will have federal aid adjusted based on the date of the latest academic event in which the student participated.

If no academic event can be documented, 100% of federal, state, and institutional aid will be cancelled because the student never began attendance. An academically-related activity includes, but is not limited to, verifiable class attendance, an exam, a tutorial, computer-assisted instruction, turning in a class assignment, or attending an assigned study group session.

Fraudulent Receipt of Funds

Students who receive student aid funds through a misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of information may have their names referred to appropriate law enforcement authorities for possible prosecution under the law. Any person who purposely gives false or misleading information may be fined $20,000, sent to prison, or both.

Reporting Changes

All students must immediately notify the Office of Financial Aid of any additional resources, such as scholarships, veteran’s non-educational benefits, etc., any changes in their financial situation, residency, class standing, or any other factors which can reasonably be construed to impact their eligibility for financial aid.

Student Employment Services 

Office in Centennial Hall
(970) 491-5714

Student Employment Services is responsible for CSU's Student Employment Program. Student Employment Services and The Career Center partner to list work-study positions, as well as on-campus student hourly positions.  Additionally, The Career Center is a central listing source for outside employers to post community jobs.  Students may view job notices on RAMweb.

All individuals who are currently degree-seeking, and enrolled in a minimum of one credit, may use this service.

Student employees, both work-study and student hourly, are compensated on an hourly basis and are paid every other week (based on the payroll schedule) through direct deposit to their personal checking or savings account. All student employees enrolled at least half-time as degree-seeking students are exempt from retirement withholding. Enrollment is verified every pay period.

Several thousand students work on campus each year through the work-study and student hourly programs, and a large number of students find employment off-campus.

CSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and adheres to the state’s fiscal rules and the regulations set forth by the Department of Education and the Colorado Department of Higher Education, which govern the work-study and student employment programs.

Student Employment Services staff encourages any student seeking a job to connect with the Career Center, and any currently employed student with employment concerns to contact The Office of Financial Aid.

Veterans’ Benefits 

The Office of the Registrar assists the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (VA) in providing certification for the following education benefits:

Under Title 38, U.S. Code

  • Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill®)
  • Chapter 31 (Veteran Readiness and Employment)
  • Chapter 32 (Post-Vietnam Era)
  • Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®)
  • Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance)

Under Title 10, U.S. Code

  • Chapter 1606 (Selected Reserve/National Guard Members)

In addition, the Veteran's Education Benefits Office will advise and assist students in:

  • Meeting residency requirements under the Veterans Choice Act of 2014, Colorado’s GI Promise or the Yellow Ribbon Program
  • Requesting and obtaining Joint Service Transcripts and other transcripts from military training
  • Obtaining additional campus services

Students eligible for any of these benefits must contact the Veteran's Education Benefits Office in the Office of the Registrar prior to the expected date of enrollment. Applicants should apply to CSU in a degree-seeking major or for teacher licensure before applying for veterans’ education benefits.

A description of the services CSU provides may be found online. Regulations governing receipt of veterans’ education benefits, Standards of Progress, and other policies are also available online.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Financial Support for Graduate Students 

Graduate Assistants

Full-time graduate assistants receive a minimum monthly stipend during the academic year, as set by CSU. Such assistants must register for and complete at least one on-campus credit during each fall and spring semester during which the assistantship is in effect; and such credits as the appointing department may require each summer term during which the appointment is in effect. Assistants may have tuition payments made in their behalf.

Additional information about financial assistance for graduate students is available in the Graduate and Professional Bulletin.