Want to develop the science, practices, and technology of feeding the world while minimizing the environmental impact of agriculture?
The Major in Soil and Crop Sciences provides hands-on training and expert instruction that will equip students to solve current global challenges in soil, plant, and environmental sciences.
The demand for students with a fundamental understanding of soil and crop sciences combined with technical and data skills has never been greater. Our graduates go on to exciting careers in industry, government, entrepreneurship, and academia, with 84% employed within 6 months of graduation.
We offer three concentrations that enable each student to align their coursework with their specific interests.
- Plant Biotechnology Concentration
- Soil Science and Environmental Solutions Concentration
- Sustainable Agricultural Management Concentration
- Minor in Soil Resources and Conservation
- Minor in Soil Science
- Organic Agriculture Interdisciplinary Minor
Successful students will achieve:
- Technical competencies, including knowledge and understanding of soil and crop science principles, the ability to apply these principles to specific issues, and the ability to synthesize information (both technical and non-technical) to meet identified needs.
- Problem solving skills, such as identifying a problem, collecting data, summarizing information, and drawing conclusions.
- Professional interpersonal and communication skills, such as presenting a topic with logical development, technical understanding, mechanical and technique correctness, and accurate documentation of sources.
The demand for students with training in soil and crop sciences has never been greater. The agricultural sector is undergoing rapid change as we enter the era of big data and embrace new technologies.