PreK-12 School Social Worker is a specialized field of practice devoted to youth and families in educational environments. Social workers within school systems provide services to students to enhance their emotional wellbeing and improve their academic performance using micro, mezzo, and macro practices. By earning this certificate, students obtain the foundational credentials required by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) to be a Special Services Provider (SSP) in PreK-12 settings. This additional specialized coursework will boost employment marketability.
Students who successfully complete the certificate will be able to:
1. Analyze the roles and functions of social work in school-based practice settings.
2. Apply lessons learned from the history, legislative contexts, and theoretical perspectives of school social work.
3. Recommend practice-based solutions for K-12 students based on the Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) framework and other cultural, linguistic, and trauma-informed approaches.
4. Perform the assessment process of Functional Behavior Assessment for K-12 students.
5. Create Behavior Intervention Plans for K-12 Students.
6. Propose solutions for students with exceptionalities that account for complex contexts, including attitudes and perceptions, inclusive education, and identification, referral, assessment, and service delivery within Special Education.
7. Perform the core skills necessary to practice the stages of mediation.
8. Apply skills of conflict resolution to assist students and schools.
Effective Spring 2024
Additional coursework may be required due to prerequisites.
|SOWK 560||Social Work Practice in Schools||3|
|Select two courses from the following:||6|
|Fundamentals of Mediation|
|Exceptionalities in Education|
|Functional Behavior Assessment|
|Program Total Credits:||9|
*This certificate may have courses in common with other graduate certificates. A student may earn more than one certificate, but a given course may be counted only in one certificate.
Learn more about the Graduate Certificate in PreK-12 School Social Worker on the CSU Online website.