Office in University Center for the Arts, Room 120
Professor Emily Morgan, Director
Welcome to Colorado State University Dance, where we offer a training center that prepares majors for professional careers in the field of dance and/or related fields. Dance students explore the many possibilities for movement expression, along with creative and scholarly examination, in a challenging and supportive environment. In addition to regular training in classical and contemporary dance techniques, the curriculum requires performance, choreography, pedagogy, production, and theoretical coursework. Numerous performance opportunities include five main stage productions each year and regular guest artist residencies and masterclasses.
The Bachelor of Arts (B.F.A.) is a professional education program designed to prepare students for careers in dance. The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Dance allows students to tailor their study of dance to fit their interests and is designed to prepare students for a variety of dance-related careers. The B.A. is designed for students wishing to major in dance and major or minor in another field.
Students not majoring in dance are encouraged to enroll in dance technique courses, space permitting. Any student enrolled in a dance technique class is eligible to audition for a role in a dance performance. Auditions for performances are held each semester. Come join the dance community at CSU!
Why Dance at CSU
- Diverse faculty with expertise and qualifications on national and international levels
- Comprehensive curriculum with an emphasis on career preparation in a liberal arts setting
- Experiential coursework and leadership opportunities including supervised teaching, direction, choreography, and performance
- Individualized mentorship from faculty and fellow students
- Live musical accompaniment for technique classes
- Exceptional guest artist residencies and masterclasses with world-renowned artists from companies such as Compagnie Käfig, Complexions Contemporary Ballet, Martha Graham Dance Company, Keigwin + Company, Parsons Dance, and more
- Community partnerships with the Fort Collins Lincoln Center, Poudre School District, and many others
- Travel opportunities for majors to attend Colorado Dance Education Organization, National Dance Education Organization, and the American College Dance Association conferences
- World-class facilities and immersive arts environment in the University Center for the Arts
- Opportunity for students to have their voice heard through the Student Advisory Committee
- Excellent general education at a premier research university ranked in the top tier of the nation’s best universities (U.S. News and World Report)
- Ability to double major or minor in a variety of other disciplines
- Alumni achievements in dance performance, teaching, choreography, arts advocacy and management, theatrical production, fashion design, exercise science, physical therapy, business, education, and somatic practices
In addition to applying to CSU through the Office of Admissions, a dance audition is required for entrance into both the B.F.A. and the B.A. Admission to the dance major is competitive, and therefore it is important to apply early. Visit Dance Audition Information for more information.